©Philip Leggett. taxidermyuk.net This document is copyright of Philip Leggett. It is Intended solely for private use of an individual. It not to be reproduced, copied in whole or in part for redistribution.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE TREATMENT OF FRESH FISH TO BE SENT FOR TAXIDERMY.
PRINT OFF THESE INSTRUCTIONS AS A PDF HERE OPEN PDF HERE
DO THE FOLLOWING (WHERE POSSIBLE):
- Photograph it in natural light against a neutral background. NO FLASH !!
- Some close up shots are always helpful.
- The fish needs to be deep frozen as soon as possible after capture.
- To protect large fins, like the tail, bandage them in kitchen tissues or toilet roll and dampen.
- Wrap the whole fish, thoroughly in cling film, then lay it flat on a board, only slightly larger than the fish
- Wrap more cling film around the fish and the board so it won’t fall off. If hardboard or wood are not available cardboard will suffice.
- Place in a freezer. If no freezer is available keep it in the coolest place you can find temporarily.
- Correctly prepared, A fish will store frozen for at least a year, usually far longer.
- Do not gut the fish. If you have it can still be mounted, it is an inconvenience not a major problem.
- Do not wash it or wipe it, leave it as it is.
- NEVER store it in water. It can be kept on ice or in a cool room or deer larder for a few hours.
If not bringing it personally, you can send it. Many of the fish that we mount arrive by courier. The following instructions will ensure that your fish arrives in perfect condition.
SENDING YOUR FISH :
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AND YOUR FISH WILL ARRIVE IN PERFECT CONDITION.
First obtain the following items:
- A suitably sized and very strong thick cardboard box (NEVER POLYSTYRENE) At least 4 to 6 inches longer and 3-4” wider and deeper than the fish as it is in the freezer. You can cut a box to fit.
- Packing materials you will need
- Bubble wrap. A large roll is by far the best option for a fish
- Large strong polythene sacks. Not thin bags with holes in
- 2” wide strong sticky brown plastic Parcel tape large rolls X 2 to 4 rolls. (Not cellotape or cheap paper tape)
- Black ink permanent Marker pen (not a biro or a pencil)
- Letter with your full details on it — to go in with the fish.
How to book my fish in for postage to taxidermyuk.net Only do this when you have everything ready to send your fish.Read More
WARNING:Never book a fish to be sent unless agreed by me personally. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY PARCELS WHICH ARE UN ANNOUNCED. THEY WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER UNOPENED.
- Go to parcelforce.com click on “sending a parcel”
- Enter the post codes. Yours and mine.
- Weigh your fish out of the freezer and add 3 kg to the weight to allow for packing etc.
- You will be sent to a page with the options to send your parcel.
- Have the fish collected from your address or take it to the depot —
- Choose EXPRESS 24 or preferably EXPRESS A.M.
- You must then fill in all parcel details weight size etc.
- When you reach the “service” page – “recipient options” click on EXPRESS A.M and make sure you select “deliver direct to recipients address” DO NOT click pick up from post office or depot ..( I charge £35.00 to collect a parcel if you do.)
- Pay for the booking and book your collection. DO NOT BE OUT WHEN THEY COME ! you will have to pay again
HOW TO PACK THE FISH TO SEND IT.
- Take a household bathroom type towel, wet it thoroughly, and wring it out so it is only damp and does not drip at all, take the fish (frozen on its board) from the freezer and wrap it up in the damp towel.
- Place the whole lot in at least two big strong polythene bin liners and seal each one.
- Wrap it up tightly with the 2″ brown parcel tape then put it back in the freezer and leave for 12 hrs.
On the day it is ready to go:
- CONTACT ME to confirm..
- Take the fish from the freezer, WRAP IT TIGHTLY IN BUBBLE WRAP and place it in the cardboard box and pack tightly
- When you are ready to send it, contact the carrier company. (always in the morning before 9.a.m)
- Put the delivery address and your address (marked sender) very clearly on the parcel on at least two faces of the box. Add your phone number (mobile) and mine.
- Enclose the covering letter containing all of your details. (Full home address emails phones etc)
- Prepare the parcel in advance and pack it as close as possible to the time of collection.
- Never ever pack with any ice.
- Never send on a Thursday or Friday. Only Mon – Wed
- Never send a fish without confirming the arrangements with me first.